05 August 2020

#RPGADAY2020 - 5 - Tribute

Day 5 - Tribute.

Tribute.

A traditional answer to this would reflect my appreciation for the giants of the RPG scene who have brought me delight and entertainment for countless years (Marc Miller & Loren K Wiseman (RIP) I'm looking at you especially for the joy that I've had from Traveller over the years). However, I'll resist the traditional.

What is Dungeons and Dragons?

First shout out is to Messers Butterfield, Parker and Honigmann for their book 'What is Dungeons and Dragons?" which I found in the library (remember when they were a thing?) and read avidly, discovering what these new games were and wanting to find out more.

Space Voyager article

The second shout out is to Steve Jackson (UK), not because of the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks (although his book 'Citadel of Chaos' was my first), but rather because of this introductory article in Space Voyager which I read repeatedly and also ignited that fascination in me.

I'd then like to thank Mandy, Louise, Karen and James for being mad enough to try out 'Call of Cthulhu' with a very inexperienced GM during a school holiday.

Possibly the person whom I owe the most tribute to is Miss Smith, later Mrs Birch. She was our 'cool' rocker RE teacher at school who championed us in setting up an RPG club at lunchtimes in her classroom in High School. We were at a Catholic Comprehensive, so there could have been trouble, but she stood up for us nerds and got us a safe space to play. Mike, Mark, John ('Noddy'), Ged and I had many fun games because of her.

All these people got me on a path to a hobby which I have enjoyed and loved since the early eighties. Thank you all.

5 August 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment