31 August 2020

#RPGADAY - 31 - Experience

Day 31 - the end for this year.

Experience.

I've realised that I prefer games which allow a steady flow of experience and growing competence. Games where your character goes on a journey from where they started. The recent two mini-seasons of Liminal that I played really pushed those buttons as - while I didn't get an advance every session, I did visibly move towards one. 

I like it when the game encourages you to behave in character and to role to achieve experience. I abandoned XP from gold and kills very early in my D&D Dungeon Master days, as it annoyed me because it feels like book keeping. I like the way that many of the modern systems ask pertinent questions of the session to determine experience.

Progression linked to skill use is cool, be it from failing (hello Dungeon World) or succeeding (hello BRP); linking it to the character's drives and goals takes this a step further.

And yet Traveller has no real skill progression. Growth is measured in survival, in credits and in experiences. Mundanities compared to growth of a character. But is the character the numbers and abilities, or the life the player breathes into them?

--

This has been #RPGADAY2020, thanks for playing. I hope that it's been a good experience for you.

31 August 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment