06 August 2020

#RPGADAY2020 - 6 - Forest

Day 6 - Forest

Forest.
There are a number of settings in fantasy RPGs that call to me, and the forest itch is one that I've yet to scratch effectively. I think that my interest in this genre of setting grew from reading Robin Hood as a child. I loved the story and the setting, the great forest where the heroes hideout before raiding the rich and corrupt in the big city. Vagabond heroes for the poor.

            

Books like Gene Wolfe's "The Devil in a Forest" and Robert Holdstock's "Mythago Wood" sequence reinforced that fascination, with the idea of the forest as a distinct, dangerous and fascinating place. I think that elements of Michael Scott Rohan's Winter of the World sequence also drew me into this.

I've never managed to indulge the forest setting in the way that I want. I have the MERP and Battlefield Press Robin Hood books and Dolmenwood looks perfect for this. I've also got a random selection of scenarios set in forests. I really need to get my finger out and run something like this. I want the depths of the forest to be an undiscovered world that the players can stumble into, with beacons of civilisation sheltering against the darkness within. The forest, a place of nature, a place of refuge and a place of dark danger.

6 August 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment