20 December 2021

On the long form (again)...

 

James Maliszewski's blog is always worth a read.

So First Age starts posting about long-form, and soon they're all at it!

James Maliszewski has a good old moan on his blog about his Empire of the Petal Throne campaign write up. He'd been doing write-ups of his sessions, but recently killed them because they each rarely got more than 200 unique views (ha!) and very little interaction. He then has this mini-rant.

I had naively hoped, back when I started posting session reports, that they might at least encourage some discussion of the care and maintenance of long campaigns, because I think this is something of a lost art. The impression I increasingly get is that much of our hobby is devoted to idle consumerism – the never-satiated pursuit of the latest baubles – and not much play of any kind, never mind dedicated campaign play. I've sometimes darkly mused that the interest in so-called "actual play" videos and streams serves as a substitute for playing oneself.
I do understand what he means; my blog posts on the Strahd game seldom get more than 20 unique views, often less, and tend to provoke less conversation than other posts that I make. That said, I'm not doing them to drive traffic or provoke conversation really. They're there to capture what happened, in part for me. We're in our second year of the campaign and it would be so easy to lose track of what happened. If they serve as a reference for the players and entertain others, then they've done their job. Provoking a more detailed conversation is a bonus.

That said, more discussion of the long-form is worthwhile. Reflecting back, I've learned a lot reading blogs like the Alexandrian (see blog roll) and Sly Flourish, both of which consider campaigns in some depth. However, as a GM, I tend to internalise my thoughts on their advice more than starting a conversation back. Sometimes I just read the descriptions of the game sessions for ideas and to see how someone else does it. Often it makes me feel like I'm doing this too much by the seat of my pants, but is that a bad thing?

And do people watch 'actual play' videos and streams as a substitute? I don't know, because I'm more drawn to the written word than watching videos.

20 December 2021




8 comments:

  1. I feel maybe I am a little old-school - but I really do not enjoy AP or hearing about other peoples campaigns. I put this down to

    1) I dont want spoilers
    2) Hearing about other peoples characters is never a conversation I want to have with another roleplayer
    3) Id rather be playing than spectating.

    I like talking to GMs about ideas or spitballing what they could do in the future, but past works, no.

    Roleplaying is a participation sport, not a spectator one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to agree, although I can be interested in learning a GM's thoughts about running a published campaign and the challenges that they have seen, especially if I plan to run it.

      Delete
  2. I use session write ups to reflect and (hopefully) improve. Usually as a GM, sometimes as a player.

    They're also a useful aide, but that's secondary. And I don't expect them to mean much to anyone other than me and the original players. But I enjoy writing them, and that's enough for me.

    As for views, presumably everyone who reads your blog via an RSS reader isn't counted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question - they should register if they click through, but I'm not certain if a hit on the RSS feed causes a register.

      I enjoy writing them mostly, although sometimes they can be a bit of slog if a lot has happened.

      Delete
    2. Pretty much the same for me. I recap the sessions I run and let the players know about the post. I'm lucky to get 20 unique views, but I post more for me than for others. Trying to get better and running and playing. I may comment about games I'm a player in, but won't do recaps as I feel that is the GMs thing to do.

      Plus, it lets me post various ideas and sometimes I do get feedback

      Delete
  3. I tried writing session reports and posting them to UK Role Players when I first moved to Lincoln (nearly 12 years ago) but they never got any feedback so I stopped. I have recently started writing similar reports for the Top Secret/S.I. campaign I'm running remotely for my goddaughter and her family (https://www.worldanvil.com/w/top-secret2Fsi-dpmcalister - I'm actually a couple behind!). The idea behind these is to help the players remember the details (as a lot of NPCs pop up again later) but I'm also using it to learn what World Anvil can do (I grabbed a yearly subscription back in August and this campaign will decide whether I renew it or move back to my own system of record keeping (historically a self-hosted WordPress or Wiki site).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't edit my comment above but the correct link to the mission reports is https://www.worldanvil.com/w/top-secret2Fsi-dpmcalister/c/mission-reports-category

      Delete
    2. Very nice - they look fun! Not heard of World Anvil before - I shall have a look

      Delete