18 August 2020

#RPGADAY2020 - 18 - Meet

Day 18.

Meet.

The first gaming meet that I attended was Dragonmeet 85 at Manchester University. It was the last Dragonmeet until the format was resurrected in 2000. Aged fourteen or fifteen, my mum drove me there (we lived about 20 miles away) and had the patience to take me around the convention. God knows what she actually thought of it, but I'm glad she took me there (and encouraged my weird hobby).

I can remember finding a copy of the American cover version of Runequest 2, which left me overjoyed. Runequest 3 was either out or just about to come out and there was no way that I could afford that. I browsed through the trading hall and went to a seminar with Marcus L Rowland (one of the scenario authors I really liked, who was hugely prolific and is still around on the scene these days). I didn't actually get to play a game, but I really enjoyed myself. However, I didn't really start going to conventions properly until after I graduated when I discovered Continuum's predecessors and TravCon.

Again, I can't believe the patience and love that my mum showed taking me to an event like that. She was (and is) brilliant for encouraging me.

18 August 2020




No comments:

Post a Comment