28 August 2020

#RPGADAY2020 - 28 - Close

Day 28.

Close.

We're close to the end of this year's RPGADAY and I'm still not convinced by the change in the format. It has definitely forced me to be more creative in my responses, but some of the words have been challenging. Then again, I've not really done this since the first one seven years ago, so who am I to complain. I much preferred Stronty Girl's Lockdown-Question-a-Day on the Tavern, because the crowdsourced questions were much closer to our hearts because they were our questions.

I love it when players get invested in their characters, and really close to them. I include myself in that for when I play and also when I'm running a significant NPC. That feeling when you hold your breath and hope that this dice roll isn't going to bring disaster on the character. The feeling when you take a decision that you know risks all, but you also know that it's what the character would do. So close that you're under the skin.

I think that this often gets easier the more often that you play a character; a four hour one-shot doesn't press the same buttons. It also helps when the character has had some form of growth; I think a steady progression of experience so that they're getting more and more competent pays off and makes you engage more. There are tricks that can draw you close to a one-shot character; strong notes in the descriptions, hooks to engage with other players and plots that draw them in, but I've always found the level of investment is less. What's your thoughts on this? Can you get the same investment for a one shot?

I think blogs like Guy Milner's Burn after Running have some great tips to drive engagement, so definitely check that out if you haven't.

28 August 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment