17 August 2020

#RPGADAY2020 - 17 - Comfort

Day 17.

Before I start this, it's interesting to see that Autocratik, the creator of #RPGADAY has also fallen behind on his posts for this, and has put some to one side because he's struggling to find something to say about the word.

Comfort.

What things in gaming give me comfort? Traveller, obviously, but that's too easy.

One area which gives me comfort and enjoyment is exploring different D&D/OSR campaigns. I have more than enough of them to last me for the rest of my life (unless I manage to get myself digitally uploaded) but enjoy reading them. Some people like comics, some people like pulpy fantasy, but I love a good campaign or scenario. The bug started when I discovered Dungeon World, a slippery slope which has resulted in me starting to run D&D5e amongst other things. I started to pick up D&D/OSR scenarios with a view to hacking them. It started with the modules that I'd run and played at school and developed from there.

I picked up a lot of OSR material ranging from pay-what-you-want PDFs up to gorgeous almost-art books. There is some really creative material out there, and it's lovely to read and play. Hot Springs Island, Electric Bastionland, Silent Titans, Ultra Violet Grasslands, The Hill Cantons...

I'm still gutted that I'm unlikely to get some of the LotFP/Zak S books to the table because of the toxic nature of the company and the author because they are very unique. I can't see any of my friends wanting to play them and they're dead as far as conventions are concerned.

I follow a few dangerous blogs which review lots of D&D adventures; Ten Foot Pole is generally a good but acerbic start, but their recent review of a Cthulhu Hack book left me surprised. I need to read the book involved to see if I think it's fair. Actually, I follow far too many gaming blogs (having just checked Feedly there are 392!), but that's another story.

So, I have a D&D module habit, and I can't see it going away sometime soon.

17 August 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment