30 August 2020

#RPGADAY - 30 - Portal

Day 30.

Portal.

Some of my favourite games have been built around portals. Faded Suns had huge, mysterious portals between the stars which no-one really understood. If I remember correctly, they were of alien manufacture, but it's been a while. Coriolis has the same vibe. Huge jump portals are used by ships to travel between stars faster-than-light. If I recall correctly, these are human technology, but the capability to build them has been lost (at least in the Third Horizon). Blue Planet uses a portal (wormhole) as a way to have colonised Poseidon, but it sits in the background as it's hard to get to and from.

I've used the same kind of concept in Singularities, but that has been more inspired by the Runcibles in Neal Asher's Polity books and some of Peter F Hamilton's work. Those and the Hyperion Cantos.

Concept art of the Sanctum Sanctorum.

However, I'm drawn back to the imagery of 177A Bleecker Street in Greenwich Village, Dr Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum. When I saw the portals opening to other worlds - both through windows and magic - I sat there and thought 'that would be so cool to be be able to do'. I need to work something like this into a game at some point. Would the players step through?


30 August 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment