24 August 2020

#RPGADAY2020 - 24 - Humour

Day 24.
Humour.

Games that are meant to be funny terrify me as a GM. I always worry that I will make a mess of them. It's the huge mental block which has stopped me getting the sublime The Dying Earth roleplaying game to the table. Every time I look at it, I fear that I won't give the players what they want from it. Intellectually, I know that it's as much a challenge for them as for me, but the fear remains. One of these days I will re-read the game and get it to the table. I own everything for the system so I really owe it to myself.

That aside, I did manage to run Paranoia well and we had a lot of laughs with it as teenage gamers at school, with both the first and second editions of the game. I did buy the current version, but decided that I was unlikely to get it to the table as there was far too much that was ahead of it.

Usually, I find that the humour comes out of situations going bad, with or without dice rolls. It's always wonderful to see someone (including myself) digging themselves deeper into a hole when they really should stop.

24 August 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment