23 August 2020

#RPGADAY2020 - 23 - Edge

Day 23.
Edge.

I dislike it intensely when people start to spout gaming theory with arrogance. They proselytise that they have the one true way and that anyone who disagrees is wrong, possibly stupid or - in some cases - immoral. Gaming is a hobby that we do for fun. Different people enjoy different things; none of the various gaming engines is better or worse than others except at a personal level. Provocation and conflict don't serve us as a community.

Pathfinder has too much crunch to float my boat, but I respect that people enjoy it and I'm certain that I could have a great time playing it if I engaged. I have no urge to run or play Vampire but I've enjoyed it in the past, and understand the buttons it can press. I love SF games, but the FFG and d20 Star Wars games never drew me in. Traveller T20 was a step too far for me.

Our experiences shape our preferences, but they remain our experience.

I used to enjoy the gaming theory discussions on the Forge and there was some really good, thought-provoking stuff there. I hated the arrogance and pretension with which much of it was delivered and eventually drifted away.

Games are about enjoyment. There is no one true way; if you and your group are enjoying it, then you're doing it right. If you enjoy state of the art games and engines, then that's a good thing, but it doesn't invalidate other people's choices. You don't have to live on the edge to have fun.

23 August 2020

 

No comments:

Post a Comment