26 August 2020

#RPGADAY2020 - 26 - Strange

Day 26.

 
Strange.

It's weird having D&D (and by definition roleplaying games) going much more mainstream. Even in the 1970s/1980s peak, it was seen as something strange and different, something geeky. And now the geeks have inherited the earth. I can talk about the hobby at work, and it's not viewed as being odd or strange. It's accepted. It's normal. It may not be at the centre of the mainstream, but it's floating along, adjacent to the media that promotes it and similar paths such as boardgames.

I used to enjoy being an outsider when I ran a Mac after I graduated. It was different, it felt special; I was strange and listening to my own tune. Probably a very extended, symphonic prog-rock tune, but I had a clique that knew and understood the strange stuff I was into. These days, the Mac is mainstream, and sometimes I regret that. I hope that the acceptance of gaming doesn't bring the same feeling.

26 August 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment