27 August 2024

#RPGaDay2024 - 27 - Marvellous Miniature

The RPGaDay2024 graphic. Three columns of prompts for discussions about RPGs. You can find a full text list atP https://www.autocratik.com/2024/07/announcing-rpgaday2024-for-august.html
This year's RPGaDay (full text list here)

Q. Marvellous Miniature?

A.  I prefer theatre of the mind, but do use tokens and standees quite often at cons.

I don't really use miniatures in roleplaying games very often, I've always been very much a theatre of the mind person. That said, I'm happy using tokens on a grid on a VTT, probably as they're far less hassle to paint, for more skirmish-like games such as D&D.

However, sometimes I will use maps and tokens to make it clear who is where. When running at LongCon, I had printed maps and used some dry-wipe tokens (All Rolled Up have some really useful ones) and some meeples to do this.

A translucent plastic box standing on a pink surface It contains white tombstone shaped dry-wipe tokens, a selection of multi-coloured bases and two dry-wipe pens with erasers.
Blank game tokens by Meetory

I also found this set on Amazon a few years ago, and it's really useful when you really need a set of markers quickly.

A green battlemat covered with white card standees of fantasy monsters, stood in translucent bases. They're all set against a black backdrop.
Dragonbane Monster Standee set

I do like the way that Dragonbane has included standees for gaming in both the starter set and as a companion product to the Bestiary book. It does make the option to play with miniatures really easy to do.

The realist in me knows that most of my gaming is online, so purchasing miniatures is a rabbit-hole I don't need to go down.

27 August 2024


No comments:

Post a Comment