12 August 2024

#RPGaDay2024 - 12 - RPG with well supported campaigns?

The RPGaDay2024 graphic. Three columns of prompts for discussions about RPGs. You can find a full text list atP https://www.autocratik.com/2024/07/announcing-rpgaday2024-for-august.html
This year's RPGaDay (full text list here)

Q. RPG with well supported campaigns?

A. Spire

The easy, obvious choice for this is D&D 5e. There are multiple official campaigns and many more from third parties. Some are excellent, other less so. Brancalonia looks excellent, and the Historica Arcanum books also inspire me. Neverland is also well worth a look.

It's also worth calling out the many OSR supplements that are out there at the moment, all of which look excellent for campaigns. Personal favourites include Castle Xyntillan; the author also has a whole set of zines called Echoes from Fomalhaut which have an extended campaign world. I also think that Wulfwald, which I've just finished, will be right up there. It's a full Anglo-Saxon game world and hack for OSR style systems and looks excellent (review coming soon). The Ultraviolet Grasslands is also another OSR derived campaign I'd love to explore.

I also really like the way that the new edition of Blue Planet has multiple campaign frames to help you get your games underway. Red Sky Charters is excellent and several of the extra ones in the final book also make me want to run them. However, I called out Blue Planet in a previous post so I'll give another game an opportunity here.

However, I'm going to go with Spire. Spire is a game where you play Drow freedom fighters / terrorists in a megacity pushing back against Aelfir (light elf) oppression. There are a number of different campaign frames which I've read that inspire me. The Kings of Silver, where you run a Drow nightclub and gambling den, really called out to me, but there are others like Eidolon Sky and Blood & Dust that also looked great. The supplements Sin, Strata and the various related Kickstarter goodies are in my to-read pile as well with more opportunities for a campaign. There's a lot to draw on and I think you could get a great campaign from this.

12 August 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment