20 August 2024

#RPGaDay 2024 - 20 - Amazing Adventure

The RPGaDay2024 graphic. Three columns of prompts for discussions about RPGs. You can find a full text list atP https://www.autocratik.com/2024/07/announcing-rpgaday2024-for-august.html
This year's RPGaDay (full text list here)

Q. Amazing Adventure?

A.  I6 Ravenloft for AD&D.

I have two contenders for the ‘Amazing Adventure’ crown; one for Traveller and the other for AD&D. This is mainly because several of the others that I would use I’ve yet to get to the table so they’re only amazing in theory.

The Traveller option is Death Station, an adventure where the players end up boarding an abandoned laboratory ship where things have gone wrong. I’ve both played and run this. In fact, I think it was the first time that I actually played Traveller rather than running it. I encountered it in a session run at the FLGS we had for a short while in Alsager. Playing in what was originally the kitchen of a small house, we had scares and excitement as we crept though the abandoned lab. I had the same experience from the GMs seat so this one has stuck with me.

The AD&D option is I6 Ravenloft. I’ve run this many times, most recently in the expanded long form take of Curse of Strahd. It’s an adventure and setting that I keep going back to. I think it manages to interweave dungeoneering with gothic horror wonderfully, and when run right it can terrify the most experienced and powerful party.

I’ll pick Ravenloft for this.

20 August 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment