07 August 2023

#RPGaDay2023 - 7 - Smartest RPG you’ve played (edit)

 

RPGaDay2023 official graphic

This is a pretty challenging one, but I’ve settled on Hero Wars (later HeroQuest, even later QuestWorlds). I’m rating this smartest for two reasons; firstly, it broke the mould for me. I read this multiple times, taped the errata in but just couldn’t get it when I read it. I struggled to grok the narrative game engine and mechanics, but I could see that there was something there.

Eventually, I went to the last run of the convention that came before Continuum (whose name escapes me at the moment) and an Australian GM called John [Hughes] showed me the way (again, his surname escapes me but he was an excellent GM). I realise the scope of narrative, descriptive games and I realised just how clever the scaling that the Mastery rules allowed. These were such a neat and elegant way to address scaling (even though there is a quirk in the mechanic) that I was blown away with it.

Hero Wars changed how I looked at game systems and moved the lens that I viewed roleplaying games with.

Of course, nowadays I’d use Tripod as a rules engine in preference to HW/HQ/QW, but this was the start of my move towards looser mechanics and a more narrative style.

A photograph of the original Hero Wars Player’s Book
Hero Wars Player’s Book


7 August 2023

Edited 12 August 2023 to add John Hughes full name in.

No comments:

Post a Comment