11 August 2023

#RPGaDay2023 - 11 - Weirdest Game you’ve played

 

RPGaDay2023 official graphic

My gut response to this one was to answer Unknown Armies (2nd Edition) because of a convention game that Newt ran back at the last Convulsion (the con before Continuum). However, when I looked at the 2014 entry, I realised that despite the previous prompt being ‘Weirdest game you own’, I was going to answer the same thing. You can check out my original reasons here, but let’s try something different for 2023.

I’ll pick The Yellow King roleplaying game, published by Pelgrane Press. I’m in an ongoing campaign run by Dr Mitch (we’ve completed the first two eras and are having breaks between) and it captures the weird feel of Chamber’s fiction perfectly. It’s a very focussed version of GUMSHOE, using cards for the mechanics. Each era has a change of characters, usually with some link to the past ones you’ve played. The characters have also had something weird touch them; however, the further down the eras you go, the likelihood is the weird is the new normal. I’m looking forward to the next instalment of this. 

That’s my more reflective take on the weird. I actually hope to be running something adjacent to this sometime in the next year or so, as I’ve been asked to run ‘Impossible Landscapes’ by Dr Mitch. That’s a starker - but equally weird - take on the King in Yellow mythos using Delta Green.

11 August 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment