25 August 2023

#RPGaDay2023 - 25 - Unplayed RPG

 

Official RPGaDay graphic

This has changed since 2014, but has probably gone to the other end of the spectrum. I suspect that should look somewhat embarrassed with this; I have far too many role-playing games (certainly for the shelf space that I have); my interests are pretty broad, and my free time somewhat limited, so there are lots of unplayed games. 

That said, with the rise of VTTs, I seem to have at least two semi-regular groups that I play in. However, they tend to be more focused on longer form campaigns these days. For example, when we started playing Conan, we discussed alternating between games every couple of months, but it’s not happened. We used to alternative between two games in the GUMSHOE group, but we’re all Eternal Lies these days. I do know I can likely slip in a short 1 or 2 slot session when we have a break, but that’s not something I do that often (time being what it is).

However, I have started trying to read more of the games when they arrive, and also get the ones that intrigue me to the table. 

At the moment, I have a list of games I’d like to run which probably represents the games that I’d like to play most. I won’t mention the ones like Traveller, Mausrítter, or City of Mist (even though I’d love to run the Nights of Payne Town campaign) because I do run those systems quite often.

So in no particular order; I’d like play Spire, which is a game of dark elf freedom fighters (or terrorists) in a light elf dominated megacity. The campaign frames that are available cover a wide range of styles and I think it could be quite an intense game. I’d also like to get Delta Green to the table, specifically the Impossible Landscapes campaign. Tacitly, that’s agreed when we complete either Eternal Lies or The Yellow King

I have an itch to scratch with Mutant Year Zero - Elysium; this is a post-apocalyptic game from Fria Ligan, set in a bunker with rival families trying to dominate. It’s a mid-length campaign and intrigues me because it has edges of character-rivalry and a demanding need for cooperation. I’d also like to get Ultraviolet Grasslands and the Black City up and running, probably using its own engine now that has come of age. It’s a weird, Dying Earth feel road trip point-crawl.

Bubbling under these, Fria Ligan have a couple of other games I’d like to get to the table; Blade Runner (which I have plans for at North Star next year), Things from the Flood (this may happen with the new UK book) and The Bitter Reach for Forbidden Lands. I think I’d also like to run the new Twilight 2000 4e game, but I need to read it properly first, something that I stalled on when Russia invaded Ukraine.

I’d also like to explore Helvéczia (pseudo-Swiss fantasy which I’ve reviewed here on the blog) and Castle Xyntillan. However, the latter would be using Old-School Essentials, which I’ve played before.

Longer term, there are two games I’ve heavily invested in that I’ve yet to get to the table; Pelgrane Press’ Dying Earth (which is wonderfully written but has always intimidated me to run because of the humour side to it) and Cubicle 7’s Doctor Who. Both have nearly gone when I’ve been clearing books, but there’s something about them that has stayed my hand.

Too many roleplaying games. Not enough time.

25 August 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment