22 August 2023

#RPGaDay2023 - 22 - Best Secondhand RPG purchase

 

RPGaDay official graphic

Back in 2014, I picked the Pagan Publishing Walker in the Wastes Call of Cthulhu book. This was one of the last rare books that I'd been after. 

I don't tend to buy that many secondhand books these days (as I've chased down most of what I'm after from earlier releases); in fact, I'm more likely to be selling books to create space and perhaps creating some joy for others that find something that they've been after.

I did subsequently track down a copy of Holmes Basic D&D after the first #RPGaDay, which ended up involving a bizarre three way exchange as the person selling it managed to send the two packages they'd sold to the wrong people. Fortunately, she sent me and the other person shipping labels so we could correct the error! That was the last really old game I hunted down secondhand.

The Achtung! Cthulhu core books lying on top of each other on a table
Achtung! Cthulhu

The best secondhand purchase that I made recently was the two Achtung! Cthulhu 2d20 core books and the games master's screen and booklet which a nice chap in Wallasey was selling as he didn't get on with the system. Near mint, I'm pretty confident they'll get to the table either with Shadows of Atlantis or The Serpent and the Sands. The game and setting is sufficiently different to Call of Cthulhu to be attractive.

Before that, I suspect that my favourite was a shop seconds copy of Ultraviolet Grasslands and the Black City in hardcover, which had gone out of print until Exhalted Funeral sold some slight seconds. Not really second hand, but most definitely not mint. I really liked this, and enjoyed it enough to pick up the new edition. UVG is a game which gives a weird end of the world Dying Earth type travelogue, and definitely worth exploring.

22 August 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment