20 August 2023

#RPGaDay2023 - 20 - Will still play in 20 years…

 

RPGaDay2023 official graphic

This one gave me a really weird feeling. I’ll be just into my 70s in two decades time so all of a sudden I find myself facing mortality in writing an answer.

A stack of Traveller RPG rule books, all of them before Mongoose second edition. From bottom to top: T5.0, Mongoose 1e, GURPS, T4, MegaTraveller, The Traveller Book (CT), Starter Edition Traveller (CT), Pocket edition Mongoose Traveller, CT Little Black Books.
A pile of Traveller books pre-Mongoose 2nd edition…

Last time, I said Traveller. In many ways, I don’t think that will change, but I’ve not played a lot recently. I suspect the D&D will be in the mix in some way, as it has always been there, fading in and out.

However, these are easy answers. Assuming games haven’t made a digital leap that leaves me bewildered, I have always had a voracious appetite to read and run the new. I’ll run a one-shot and move on with many games. Sometimes I wonder if my hobby is more about collecting and reading games these days.

I think my real hope is that in twenty years time that I still have a group of friends who want to connect and play games, that I will have the health to do so, and that climate change leaves us with a world that has the space to enjoy life still. So I hope that I will still be playing in twenty years.

20 August 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment