18 August 2023

#RPGaDay2023 - 18 - Favourite Game System

 

RPGaDay official graphic

Last time, I answered Wordplay (which is now Tripod). It’s still a big one for me but I’ve not run it recently, because I’ve been running other systems. I do like the system and if you’ve never come across it, then it’s definitely worth checking out.

I’m getting increasingly impressed with Modiphius’ 2d20 engine; it’s not quite a favourite, but now I’ve got my head around the meta-elements (especially the momentum and threat economy) and ran it (Star Trek Adventures, Dune) and played it (Conan) I’m really starting to like it. It encourages action and flows really well. I’m seriously considering running an Achtung! Cthulhu campaign soon. 

I also like Fria Ligan’s Year Zero Engine, especially in the Blade Runner / Twilight 2000 4e guise. Those two use less dice, and aren’t as swingy, so characters feel much more competent. That said, running Alien, Tales from the Loop and Vaesen has showed me that it’s definitely a game engine that works and is fun. I’m working up a Blade Runner one-shot at the moment for North Star next year, keep on eying up the Bitter Reach (which I kept over Rime of the Frost Maiden for D&D 5e as a better winter campaign) for Forbidden Lands, and plan to read Twilight 2000 soon.

I’ve also developed a love for GUMSHOE, although I’ve never dared run this. That said, I do plan to give Swords of the Serpentine a run out at Furnace. I’ve played Trail of Cthulhu, Night’s Black Agents and the Esoterrorists a lot, and enjoy the way the game works. It does an excellent job at running investigations well and also building tension.

However, Tripod would be my go to to run pretty much anything because it works so well, and is so easy to map other games too. So I guess my answer remains the same at heart.

18 August 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment