28 August 2022

RPGaDay2022 - 28 - What is your favourite RPG cover art?

  

Roll 1d8+1 and tag that many friends with your favourite RPG cover art?

So, as before I'm not tagging but here's some of the ones that I love.


Traveller Core Rules 2017

I love the 2017 version of the Traveller rules, because they really catch the feel of the game. I think that the imagery is better than the 2022 update. That said, I'll always have a love for the little black book design as well.

TRIPOD Essence

I've also always loved the cover image that Stephanie McAlea created for Wordplay which I recoloured for TRIPOD. It's a beautiful abstract image that gives a feel of diving into a new world of adventure.

Things from the Flood

I love the cover from Things from the Flood, a game that has perhaps got too little play in the UK after an incident at UK Games Expo. There's a cold starkness to it.


a/state second edition

My current favourite cover is the new edition of a/state; I thought the original was stunning, but the new one, especially with the UV spot ink, is fantastic. It references the past but gives so much more. I photographed it in the sunshine to bring out the UV of the City.

One thing I have noticed recently is that a number of a game companies offer limited edition covers which are done in leather as collector's items. They look lovely, but the normal cover often looks stunning too and I've ended up going for the normal copy. The new edition of The One Ring, a/state, and some of the Dune books spring to mind.

Also rans in this? City of Mist. Delta Green. Liminal. Age of Arthur. Alien. Tales from the Loop. Some of the D&D 5e alternative covers (Tasha's, Witchlight, Radiant Citadel).

28 Auguts 2022






No comments:

Post a Comment