16 August 2022

Rhosneigr Reminiscences

Rhosneigr (map by OS*)

This week finds us in Rhosneigr on a family break rolled over twice due to COVID-19. Rhosneigr is located on the west coast of Anglesey and has some gorgeous family friendly beaches. I also have memories of it from my youth which have stayed with me. I had a week here with my mum (and I suspect my sister) when we stayed at a caravan with our 'Aunty' Sandra. Of course, Aunty Sandra wasn't actually a blood relative; she was one of my mum's friends and I used to play with her son Russell. We long since lost touch.

Rhosneigr Sunset
Sunset at Rhosneigr (iPhone 11, RAW)

I think we may have been there before we left Liverpool, so before '77. I think my sister may have been there but I don't really remember. We stayed in caravan somewhere behind the dunes. All I can remember is that the bed was too small, it was cold and sand got everywhere. The showers were cold but you needed to spend far too long under them to get rid of the sand, and then freeze going back to the caravan. This experience started to develop my visceral dislike of caravans. It's kind of weird, because I'd happily accept the same challenges with camping (but I suppose I'd fit the sleeping bag and be warm.

Rhosneigr beach
Glorious beaches (iPhone 11)

I've enjoyed a few days on the beach with Jill and the lads which have dispelled the memories of being sandblasted while huddling behind a windbreak. I suspect we were there in May or June, so the weather wasn't quite with us. Of course, the back end of the second heatwave this summer has flavoured my impressions.


Rhosneigr beach
Almost Mediterranean in feel (iPhone 11)

The first night we were here I managed to get some decent pictures of the supermoon itself. I failed to get I decent exposure with the background as well, but I'm happy with the results which I think probably pushed the limits of what my camera can do. If you want exposure details etc. then click through to the Flickr image page.

Moon rising from Rhosneigr
Moon rising over Rhosneigr (LUMIX GX7 200mm RAW)

Nathan came out with me, and was fascinated by the view. As the moon rose, there was a glorious reflection from it, both on the water and arcing across the sky above reflecting on high level clouds. You could see a curvature with it; Nat suggested that this helped to prove that the world was round, so I mischievously countered that perhaps it just showed that moonbeams fell to Earth as they cooled off!


Moonbeams in the sky
Moonbeams in the sky (iPhone 11)

The sky is actually overexposed by the iPhone, but it gives a good feel for the reflection. It arced perhaps three-quarters of the way over the sky.

The weather's turned now, so we've moved from beach mode to visiting places and doing wet weather activities. I may even get a roleplaying game out for the kids if they show interest.

16 August 2022 

(*) Map screenshot from the Ordnance Survey app which I have a subscription to. I love the classic Landranger style because it reveals so much about an area.

No comments:

Post a Comment