07 January 2021

The Wretched - Solo RPG - Recovered Log - Day 13

Recovered Log - Day 13

Audio recordings of a play-through of Chris Bissette's solo journalling roleplaying game. 

The Wretched Day 13
Day 13



Day 13 - 5 cards
  • QH - the door lock system fails when you are in the bridge and you have to spend a few hours forcing them open so you can get out - 1 block 
  • 5H - you’re finding it harder and harder to catch your breath and then you realise the oxygen system has shut off. You fixed it, but what caused it to break? 1 block
  • KD - when you launched the creature out of the airlock you couldn’t seal it again. Every now and again the creature comes back, scratching and prying at the internal door that protects you from the cold black of space. How do you react to this?
  • 4S - down one of the long straight corridors between rooms on the ship you follow gouges on the floor left by the creature. Describe them and the parts of the anatomy that you think left the markings behind - 1 block
  • 8C - which member of the crew jumped into harm’s way to try to protect the others and how much time did they buy you all.
Day 13, salvage ship ‘The Wretched’. Flight Engineer Dom Mooney reporting.

I woke up this morning and found it hard to catch my breath. Felt a bit dizzy, and had the edge of a headache. It was only when I looked at the displays that I realised that the oxygen content of the air had dropped substantially. I headed up to the bridge to check the diagnostics out, and released that the system had shut down. I think it’s closing off those vents yesterday; they’ve changed the pressure balance in the system; spent a good hour trying to balance things. In the end, I had to cut some smaller holes in the vents I’d sealed to let some flow back. I went back to the bridge to add some code that would restart the system if it failed again, and then couldn’t get out when I was heading to get some food. 

The door lock had tripped out. It took me nearly two hours to get the door open again as I’d hardly any tools with me. I had to strip it back and I don’t know if I can trust it. I’m over-riding the door to keep it open now just in case. I feel like the ship is dying around me. Don’t give up on me now; we’re getting there!

After I had eaten, I went through the ship, down the main ventral corridor where Petersen, the chief, had gone for the creature with a fire extinguisher to give us time to escape. The corridor was covered in gouges, the metal torn and part melted, most likely from it’s claws as it tried to hold on when I blew the lock to throw it off the ship. They went all the way along to the airlock itself, perhaps 50 metres or so. Whatever did this damage has broken the outside door. It’s half closed. I’ve sealed the inner door and welded it, but I’ve seen the creature in there, scratching, trying to get in. That inner door is all that comes between me and it. There are times when I wonder if I should take another way out, but then I rally. I’m not giving up. It may be Day 13 since it attacked us, but I’m still here. And slowly, far too slowly, I’m finding a way home.

This is Dom Mooney, the last survivor of the Wretched, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment