05 January 2021

The Wretched - Solo RPG - Recovered Log - Day 11

Recovered Log - Day 11

Audio recordings of a play-through of Chris Bissette's solo journalling roleplaying game. 



Day 11 - 3 cards
  • AD - a short but terrifying EVA you manage to boost the range of the ship's antenna. How did you ensure the creature would not attack you?
  • 10D - with the climate control on the fritz, mould springs up in some of the food stores; you seal the locker up and hope nothing else affects your supplies 1 block
  • 2S - you can’t summon any energy and give up for the day - 1 block
Day 11, salvage ship ‘The Wretched’. Flight Engineer Dom Mooney reporting.

I got on with checking out the hiding spaces this morning. The only one that didn’t work out was the food store; sometime in the last two weeks one of the two cold stores has failed and gone warmer. It’s full of mouldy, rotting food. I can’t face clearing it fully and can only hope that the rest survives. Checked the systems on the other one, and it seems to be okay.

It did give me an idea though. When I went to the antenna control I realised that a simple fix would bring it back on line and maximise the signal from the comms and the beacon. The AE246 array had tripped. I just need to get out from the airlock, and across 10m of empty space, open the panel and flip the breakers. The problem is the creature; I need something to distract it. I’m going to use some of the spoiled foodstuffs and the bodies in the airlock, and also the thrusters. Hopefully they’ll draw it away and I can get this done. I just need 15 minutes, tops. I’ve programmed it now, and I’m ready to try it. I’m recording this in case I don’t make it. If there are no more entries then it got me. I love you mum and dad. Tell everyone I miss them and I did my best.

This is Dom Mooney, the last survivor of the Wretched, signing off.

...

Day 11, salvage ship ‘The Wretched’. Dom Mooney reporting. Recording number two.

I did it. God knows it was close, but I did it. I vented the lock, and the bodies blew out along with meat I’d salvaged from the failed store. I gave it a minute and then, while it was distracted, headed to the antenna array. Once I was secure, I triggered the thrusters to tumble the ship and put a wall of venting gas between me and it. Had to use some brute force on the panel to open it, but I reset the AE246 and got back. It was coming and I only just got the airlock shut when it caught up, bouncing and scratching against the outside. I cycled through and locked it. And now I’m going to have a drink. 

That’s enough for today.

This is Dom Mooney, the last survivor of the Wretched, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment