23 December 2020

The Wretched - Solo RPG - Recovered Log - Day 3

 

Recovered Log - Day 3

Audio recordings of a play-through of Chris Bissette's solo journalling roleplaying game.



Day 3 - 6 cards (!)

  • QC - Removing bodies from a small room you intend to hide. Why were so many people here, what did it do? 1 block
  • AS - you find a way to distract the creature from its attempts to enter the ship? How?
  • 10H - life support system keeps making an unhealthy grinding noise and you don’t know the problem - what will you do if it fails?
  • 5C - carrying a rifle for the last few days - you pried it out of a cold grip of a dead crew mate’s hands. What did that make you feel, and do you think it will be effective if you can use it.
  • 5D - you access one of the lander modules and hope you can use it to escape the ship, but the asteroid damage means that it is beyond repair. You jettison it hoping to distract the creature. 1 block.
  • JD - you lose power throughout the ship and while you’re trying to fix it the back generators fail too. You restore power but you have to cannibalise the parts from the backup generator which will never run again - remove 1 block permanently.

Day 3, salvage ship The Wretched. Dom Mooney reporting.

Not a pleasant day today as I spent it clearing bodies from the officer’s mess and then cleaning down the area. It’s hard to believe the ferocity and mess that the creature caused. In death, the command crew look startled, or fearful. Torn apart as they tried to plan their way home after the damage that the asteroid impact caused, unaware of the threat it carried. I never really had much contact with them except for the Chief Engineer but they always gave us direction, even if we didn’t like it. They took the decisions, we just got to implement them. And now there’s just me. I’m carrying Johansen’s snub rifle; I found it in his hands shortly after the attack. I couldn’t recognise him without his head if it hadn’t been for his name tag. Part of me wonders if there’s any point. If it gets in, will this really stop it?

I’m planning to use the mess to sleep in; it has mirrors of the displays on the bridge, and it can be secured with the bulkhead doors. There’s a ready bunk, food, water and a shower. Better than my own quarters. Safer, hopefully.

The power went down in the afternoon watch; we dropped to emergencies, and the backups only came on for a few minutes. I got the main generator back, but had to strip out the convertors from the back-up to restore it. The stores with the primary spares are gone, along with most of the workshop. If it goes again, it’ll be a slow, cold and dark death. Better than what that thing would do though.

I wasn’t sure what had caused it to fail at first, but then I realised. It was trying to get in through one of the power feeds. Had putting the bodies out of the last working airlock drawn it in? I don’t know. Anyway, I saw it moving on the hull, black against black, a glimpse of death. I distracted it by decoupling and dumping the lander module near it. I watched as it turned towards the movement; hopefully it’s jumped on it and gone with it. I’d thought about trying to modify the module to get me home, but it was damaged beyond my means to repair. If it’s carried the creature with it, then it’s done enough. Let’s hope it’s gone.

This is Flight Engineer Dom Mooney, the last survivor of the Wretched, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment