02 April 2022

VTT Set Up

VTT set up
Ready for Curse of Strahd.

With the move back to a Mac for my main computer, my set up for gaming tabletop roleplaying virtually has changed. Previously, I was using an ASUS Chromebook CT-434 as my main machine. It was a lovely Chromebook, and did everything I needed for 80% of what I wanted; however, I ended up going back to a MacBook because its where my heart is and - more importantly - it lets me get the other things I want to do done.

The ASUS had a lovely 14" screen in a 13" body. The MacBook does the same, but there's a world of difference. The ASUS was touchscreen, the Mac isn't. The ASUS was Full HD (1920 x 1080) and the MacBook is much higher resolution (3024 x 1964) with higher refresh rates (120 Hz) and mini-LED technology. I'd paired the ASUS with a second screen as it felt tight running Roll20, but the MacBook doesn't feel as cramped. I could use the second screen, but so far I haven't felt a need to do so.

I will split screen when I'm playing rather than GMing - video on one side and the game's character sheet on the other.

I'm still using the external Anker USB-C dongle. It adds in USB-A, HDMI and more. Ironically, all I want is a USB-A so I can use my Jabra 510 Speaker Phone. This is one of those noise-cancelling business bluetooth and wired devices designed for conference calls. It is great for playing RPGs online though, as it  frees you from the headset.

If I'm playing on Roll20, I'll tend to use a mouse (Logitech MX Anywhere 3) to handle tokens; if I'm on Role or using Meet / Zoom I won't bother. The mouse is an upgrade from the previous one (Logitech Pebble) because I wore the microswitches out. I've deliberately gone to higher spec mice and external keyboards since I've worked from home, as they definitely make a difference.

Roll20 challenges
At least there is a video image behind the triangle (Roll20).

For Curse of Strahd, I'll usually be running Roll20 with Chrome as the browser, with the Discord app for audio. We do run video through Roll20, but it's still flaky at times. I will play any music via Roll20, but I'm experimenting using Loopback (virtual audio piping) and Farrago (Sound Board) to raise my game here. I need to take a bit of time and upload the sound effects properly to see where this gets me.

I'll generally use Safari if I'm on other platforms; if it gets flaky Chrome is the fallback.

For Strahd, I'm mainly referencing the D&D Dungeon Master's screen (which has some post it notes on for quick reference), and more recently the Lazy DM's Workbook since I printed a spiral-bound copy. I do have the Player's Handbook there, but rarely pick it up. I've the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual and Dungeon Master's Guide on Roll20 so will tend to pull up the compendium. I do assume that the players will look after their own stuff, but it's really useful having two players who really know fifth edition. Alex is very knowledgeable, and Tom also helps out. Graham tends to find this hardest as he's also running fourth edition and they're a bit similar which causes confusion.

I'll have the Curse of Strahd book at the table for quick reference, and usually the parts of the MandyMod and DragnaCarta remixes that I'm drawing from printed out and highlighted. I tend to translate the various motivations and plot triggers in the more social locations (especially Vallaki) into Dungeon World style Adventure Fronts for quick reference. I tend to create these on the reMarkable, but print them out for use and ease of references. I'll also usually have hard-copies of the map for the location printed, often with quick notes.


I use Travis Savoie's "Into the Mist" music for Curse of Strahd, and always start and end the game with the same introduction piece. It's a nice collection of music. It's available on Bandcamp, and I recommend his other pieces. When I ran the Carnival section, I used the music from the Disney 1980s film version of "Something Wicked This Way Comes".

In all cases, I use the reMarkable for notes, which I write up here on the blog at the end of the session. That usually takes 45 minutes to an hour to complete. It's been vital with the length of the campaign, as I've been able to go back and check what happened.

The final element is the ring light (set on warm for atmosphere).

In the case shown here, I also have a nice glass of Jura...

2 April 2022


No comments:

Post a Comment