04 August 2021

#RPGaDay2021 - 4 - Weapon

 

Day 4 - what's your weapon?

I used to get all excited about weapons in games, pouring over stats and trying to get the best load out. However, as the combat elements become less and less important to me as a player and a GM, I've lost interest in this side of the gaming experience. An assault rifle is an assault rifle to me; I'm not bothered about the nuances. Sure, cover adding a scope or a grenade launcher, but I don't have interest in more granularity than that. It was really interesting to watch the contact between the very old school simulationist Twilight 2000 gamers with the much more modern and narrative broad brush approach of Fria Ligan in the new fourth edition of the game. There was a huge cultural gulf.

However, if you're talking about an interesting weapon, like a sentient sword, or the guns and equipment with AI recordings of former brothers-in-arms like those that Rogue Trooper is carrying, then I'm definitely up for that.

Sitting in my PDF files I've a copy of Artefact, which is a zine based solo RPG where the focus is a magical weapon or artefact and whose hands it has passed through. I'll probably explore this once the print copy arrives as it looks like an interesting way to generate a backstory. The author has also produced Bucket of Bolts, which does similar things for a starship. 

4 August 2021 (retrospectively)

No comments:

Post a Comment