02 January 2024

Music in 2023

 


So this is what I played most that was released in 2023 according to iTunes (or rather the Apple Music app). As previous years, I've not managed to work out how to do this for music played in 2023, as I can't see how to filter on play count for only that year. 

I'll rank this by the highest play by album.

1. Hats Off Gentleman, It's Adequate - The Light of Ancient Mistakes

Fantastic new album, the early released songs got a lot of play. 3 tracks in top 25 for the year. Love the SF flavour, and use of the flute makes this something special.

2. Grandbrothers - Late Reflections.

Very chilled out album (the cover is Cologne Cathedral). I think I stumbled on it from a report in the Guardian. 10 tracks in top 25. It is great music to work to.

3. Andre Soueid - Echoes of the Past EP

Bizarrely, I stumbled across Andre Soueid when the local cinema played on of his tracks before a film. I loved it - the violin is fantastic in a fusion that comes towards EDM / trance. 2 in top 25.

4. Depeche Mode - Momento Mori

I still don't know what I make of this album. A single track places it in the top 25 I played (Ghosts Again) but nothing else. 

5. Steve Wilson - The Harmony Codex

A late entry in the year, I really like this album which is different in feel to Porcupine Tree. 2 tracks out of 25. I was surprised it was so high, but like it a lot.

6. Orchestra Manoeuvres in the Dark - Bahaus Staircase

Another late entry, with 5 tracks in the first 25. I have no doubt that this one will continue to rise as I love it. 

On reflection, the track count may be a more reliable measure of which releases were more popular and played for me. It's worth adding that this misses a chunk of plays when I go swimming, as I use an SD card on the headphones rather than Bluetooth from my phone.

Some good albums this last year.

2 January 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment