22 July 2021

Standing to Deliver

Stand to deliver
Helves Standing Desk

I've (mostly) been stuck working from the kitchen table since June 2020, using the old office chair (the one we'd replaced that had been in the garage) and piles of games to raise my laptop and screen to a decent height. It's not the best arrangement and I was very aware that some days I can be in the chair for hours. I've been eyeing up standing desk modifications for a while and finally decided to take the plunge.

I ordered one in birch plywood from a company called Helves. Did a bit of research and got some money off by joining their mailing list, so ordered a 'wide' desk so it would support twin monitors. I suspect that this is the first time in a long time that the screens have ended up at exactly the right height for my eye line.

Anyway, it arrived and was very simple to assemble. I spent longer working out the cabling arrangements so they weren't intrusive. I've used it for the last two days and it seems quite comfortable (although in the odd presentation I've sat down when others are showing slides). I need to adjust to it for doing some graphics work, but overall I'm quite pleased. It's very solid. If the table didn't have a protector and a cover I'd probably want a cork or neoprene mat under it to avoid the risk of damage.

I'm not sure that it's really a desk; perhaps I should call it 'mission control' now?

Recommended on the experience so far.

22 July 2021

 

No comments:

Post a Comment