31 July 2021

Preparing for the Hole in the Oak (OSE)

OSE prep
B/X Simplicity

This afternoon I had the joy of preparing for a short (one or two-shot) game using the B/X (Basic/Expert) retroclone, Old-School Essentials Classic Fantasy. Now, this isn't 'my' Basic D&D (that's the Holmes version) but I definitely played a lot of this around 1983 to 1985. Knowing my interest in all things OSR, First Age (Graham) persuaded me to run a session or two so he could get a feel for the original vibe of the game. He'd never really gone down the route of playing B/X, starting with AD&D instead. That's first edition AD&D. In honesty, I think that the feel won't be that different.

Reading through The Hole in the Oak (an OSE adventure I only own as a PDF at the moment) I was reminded just how brutal D&D used to be. There's a lot in this scenario that will kill characters, particularly the aspects that will need a saving throw of some sort. I'm looking at our classic party of 4 and starting to think that some hirelings will be a good idea. Otherwise, it could be a very short visit to the depths of the forest for the characters. Unlike Pathfinder (or modern D&D editions from 3rd onwards), the adventure presented doesn't assume that characters need to see balanced encounters. Sometimes you need to parley, sneak around, run away or just not fight. 

The module is exceptionally well laid out and structured; there's a lot that others could learn about this as it is very well written for the DM to use, and the map is also well keyed for simple reference. I will be using Role as the VTT. Tomorrow, I have to frig the forthcoming fog of war by dropping rectangular tokens over the map that I can subsequently remove to reveal the dungeon. I did contemplate doing it completely old school and getting them to draw the map themselves on a grid, but that seemed a little mean.

I was fortunate, as the afternoon had some sunshine despite the storm that's battering the rest of the UK, to be able to sit outside whilst scrawling down notes on my reMarkable. I was going to post a picture here, but I've just realised that it has the entire dungeon key visible, which may not have been a good idea.

It'll be interesting to see how this nearly 40-year trip backwards goes. I shall no doubt post more.

31 July 2021

 

2 comments:

  1. Much sneaking around, running away, and coming back with a better plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - I think that there may be some shock for those used to D&D post D&D3e...

      Delete