27 August 2014

#RPGaDay - 27 - Game You’d like to see a new / improved edition of…


Ooh. A new edition of a game that I like.

A more consistent and well edited version of Mongoose *Traveller* is probably too much of an ask based on past experience with the publisher, but it would be a good thing. The expansions have not been coherently done with huge numbers of skills and mechanics added in. So, that aside, what would I love to see a new edition of?

I was disappointed with the new edition of *The EsoTerrorists* which came out recently. The content was good, but a very small font size had been used and it was softcover, unlike pretty much all the rest of the GUMSHOE range which are lovely hardbacks. I would happily pay for the same content again, but done across say 200 pages rather than 160 and in hard cover. But that’s pretty simple for Pelgrane to do, so let's look somewhere else.

*Blue Planet* springs to mind. The 2nd edition was brilliant and - had I still owned it - may have even made the list of game that I want to play that no-one else does from two days ago. If you don’t know the setting, then you’ve missed out on a treat. Humanity has spread to a new world - Poseidon - at the end of a wormhole found at the edge of the solar system. The environment on Earth is fragile after years of abuse. Players are colonists in a new world of opportunity and adventure, a world with superb, detailed, background. In many ways, it was the opposite of *Traveller*. Rather than the whole of the universe to explore, you had one world. And it felt as big as the universe. There was also a plan to release a supplement (or even partner RPG) called *World of Hurt*. This was going to give a very *Blade Runner* style setting back on Earth, but this never happened.

Anyway, I know what I want. I want a version of *Blue Planet* built with the Mongoose *Traveller* engine. I want it as a distinct line with tight quality control, and I want it now!

(Okay, so I realise that I could hack 2300AD to do this reasonably easily, but I'd rather someone else did it for me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment