09 July 2024

Fading Suns… a siren call

The cover of the Universe book for Fading Suns - purple background with a star in the background, with a picture of a noble and a starship and the Fading Suns logo at the bottom of the cover.
Cover of the new Universe Book

Bundle of Holding has two Fading Suns offerings at the moment, which encouraged me to look again at a game I enjoyed greatly, but eventually sold off because I couldn’t see it getting to the table again. If you’ve not come across it before, Fading Suns is almost a science-fantasy setting. In my mind, it’s a bit like Dune crossed with dark cosmic horror. There are echoes of the same vibe found in the (later) Coriolis. The universe is connected by jump-gates established by an ancient and lost alien people. Humanity rose to an advanced technological republic, but has since regressed to technological state run by guilds and medieval houses, ruled by an Emperor. There are lost worlds, alien threats and more.

I played the first edition and ran the second edition, and loved the setting. The engine was always a little bit crunchy, but it never really got in the way. I did muse on converting it to the Story Engine and Wordplay on a number of occasions. Perhaps the biggest disappointment I had was when the second edition line came to an end and the final part of the ‘War in Heavens’ trilogy was never published. Then again, as that was supposed to be a big reveal on the background perhaps that was a good thing, as some things are better left unsaid.

Looking through the fourth edition, which for some reason or other I didn’t back on kickstarter, the rules have been simplified and made much cleaner with a meta-currency overlay. I’m still not sure if I’d used them as I think I could very quickly port into TRIPOD. The books look lovely; clean and well laid out with great illustrations. I’m riding a wave of nostalgia with this. 

The silly thing is, I have the 2d20 Dune roleplaying game which should hit all the same notes (and has a fantastic campaign in Fall of the Imperium), but somehow it’s cleaner, sharper and a bit less evocative. There’s something about Fading Suns that draws me back and makes me want to get it to the table. I’m kind of pleased that nowhere in the UK has the core rules in stock because I’d almost certainly have impulse bought them last night. Indeed, I discovered that First Age (who shares a similar passion for this game) and I were looking at the same eBay listings last night.

I may pick this up, but if I do then I need to commit myself to run it. Let’s see where this goes.

9 July 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment