27 November 2022

Second Thoughts - CY_BORG

CY_BORG role
The Role VTT desktop (camera feeds off in a break)

I was fortunate to have a short session of CY_BORG today with a group of players from the Gaming Tavern. We used the Role VTT, which seemed appropriately light. Everyone had randomly generated their characters using the online tool, so it was truly random. I used a variation of the random mission that I'd created during the review I previously wrote, which seemed to be light and fun enough to test the system. 

I added the game crib sheet and the map of the city to the assets in Role, and had the scenario idea in a window in Tot. These were on the second monitor that I was using. The players could see the map and the crib sheet. I also added a spread on Cultists and a spread of random handles.

CY_BORG crib sheets
The second screen.

The game engine worked simply enough, although I did have a brief moment trying to remember whether the game had advantage and disadvantage (it doesn't). Characters have a base 40% chance of success , with abilities shifting that typically 5 to 10% either way as initially generated. That can make it feel a bit random and failure laden, but it also creates interesting situations. The competence will change rapidly if the GM uses the levelling up rules. Of course, you need to set the right task difficulty as well to make sure it's appropriate.

We had one significant battle; the skulker cydroid was pretty tough and the characters struggled to both hit and do damage at first. The armour (d4) was also very effective against poor damage rolls. It was eventually taken down with a cyber-attack; the characters were very lucky that one of them didn't get caught by the attack as well as it is indiscriminate. Fortunately, the player who used the attack rolled that it hit a single victim so the other characters were saved. They managed to avoid two fights with corporate goons and cultists, so we didn't really get to a situation with multiple combatants with the chance to stack damage up. I imagine that would change the dynamic of the combats.

The apps (net stuff) were fun, but the 60% chance of failing to activate one did scupper plans a few times. The randomness of the game does provide plenty of ideas and fun, but I think that I'd probably level up the characters a few times if I ran this at a convention. However, despite the randomness, the characters managed to complete the mission successfully, repeatedly side-stepping traps and dangers that I had in place. I probably didn't run this as gonzo as the creators intended.

We used the Role VTT. We did see the odd drop-out, but it seemed stable. The changes to the interface seem to be good - moving the dice to the right hand side, for example. However, the dice roller is still a bit clunky (and there's no d3); apparently it's on the roadmap to do. Mostly, Role fades into the background; overall I'm happy with the active development which is ongoing.

I guess the big question is whether I'd run or play this again; the short answer is 'yes'. I think that this is an interesting game and setting; the engine is light but provides enough for fun.

27 November 2022


 

No comments:

Post a Comment