04 September 2021

First Impressions - Pamphlet of Pantheons (ZineQuest 3)

Petite but powerful pamphlet


‘Pamphlet of Pantheons' is another of the many releases as part of ZineQuest 3 earlier in the year. I blame Steve Dempsey, as I saw he'd backed it and it made me curious.

Physically, it's a 20-page black and white zine with a cover that nicely captures the process you're going to go through. There some small illustrations throughout (public domain, I expect, as uncredited) but these twenty-two pages are mainly packed with content. It's 22 pages because the inside covers are put to good use.

The object of the zine is to be an idea generator when creating a fantasy Pantheon. You start by picking some divine archetypes, add complications, duplications whilst tailoring to pantheon to a style of your choice. You can add minor gods, rituals, temples and more details. There are copious random tables to use or pick from as you prefer.

Two pages give an example of pantheon creation with the rules; one page for the pantheon sheet, the other for a description of what happened during the process. This was useful, as it explains how it all comes together.

Overall, this is a great little zine that will help with world building for a fantasy campaign. I've no immediate need to use it, but I am glad I have it for inspiration.

4 September 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment