28 May 2020

First Impressions - Hexagon Dice Tower from ARU

ARU Hexagon dice tower
The Hexagon Dice Tower (and that's a natural roll)

I placed an order with All Rolled Up, using my GM discount voucher for running at North Star Online and as part of the order I bought a dice tower. The last one that I had (from many years ago) slotted together and broke really easily, and I really liked the look of the 3D printed options that ARU are offering now. So I decided to make a Hexagon Matte Spiral Dice Tower mine (£22).

It's deceptively light, sturdy and well finished.


ARU Hexagon dice tower
It's ribbed.

The spiral the dice fall down has ribs to encourage them to rotate. I could (with a lot of tries) get them to land on the same face at the bottom, but if you just drop them, it's great.

I wondered about dice pools. So I dropped a full 15 dice set for Mutant Year Zero through it several times. On a hard surface (or one that has higher friction) you may want to raise the dice tower as dice can slow and block the exit. I found this happened on the carpet and to a lesser extent on a table with a vinyl protector.


ARU Hexagon dice tower
Dice Pool friendly. The result of this roll is not character friendly.

It's a nice object. Do you need it? No. Is it fun? Yes.

Recommended.


There is a 10% discount code that works this weekend for North Star which is open to all: 
Code NS20V10


28 May 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment