02 May 2020

Color Out of Space - no spoilers

The Color Out of Space... is pinky-purple with a hint of UV

I watched Color Out of Space last night. I'd originally rejected the idea of watching it, as I'm not a big fan of Nicholas Cage, but then I found out that the Director was Richard Stanley. I'd really enjoyed his early films (Dust Devil, Hardware, Brave) before the failure of the Island of Dr Moreau trashed his career in Hollywood.

This is a modernisation of the Lovecraftian classic, which is one of my favourites of his. The story has been modernised to the current day, but still manages to make the woods outside Arkham seem terrifying. The film is shot beautifully. Unfortunately, it takes a turn towards B-Movie schlock horror midway through. Beautifully done, though. And yet, it still manages to retain the insidious, creeping horror of the story. I suspect a truer reading of the story would both not be exciting enough and be too bleak for Hollywood.

I enjoyed this, probably give it a 7/10. Nick Cage does himself at one point, but it kind of fits.

If you want a more faithful adaptation check out Die Fabre, the German take on the Color from 2010.

2 May 2020

PS Some images of the woods around Arkham after the break, showing how well he manages to creep it out (with great music).






No comments:

Post a Comment