15 April 2020

Migration Notes

A view of the Mojave
It's taken nearly a year, but I've pretty much finished the transition of my old iMac to a macMini. I picked up a cheap Fusion drive 2014 model with 8GB RAM last year, and the initial transfer was reasonably smooth, right up to the point I took it from High Sierra (10.13) to Mojave (10.14). At this point, it decided that it no longer wanted to talk to the App Store or iCloud Drive, which was problematic. I messed around for far too long trying to fix it, and in the end bought an external HDD to clone a back-up to and a second to Time Machine a second back up. Paranoid, moi?

Reinstall of macOS failed to sort the issue, so new user created (which worked), and I started to migrate all the files, data and licences across. As I type this, the final files are copying back (the photo archive) and hopefully that will be that.

I'm pleased that I have most of my data in the cloud as well, as it has meant I can start to bring it down at my own speed from Dropbox, OneDrive and Google Drive.

Fingers crossed, but hopefully I now have the platform in place to restart doing DTP, something that my MacBook (which is 12 years old) is struggling with.

15 April 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment