16 March 2024

Returning to Daredevil S1

 

The Daredevil TV show logo - red/purple image with the word ''Daredevil' in red text rising in an arc in the centre with 'Marvel' in white in small capitals and the character behind and above the logo, back turned and face in slight profile looking left.
Daredevil

I started re-watching the first series of Daredevil recently, having not seen it properly since it screened in 2015. It has reaffirmed that this is the best Marvel TV done in recent times. I'm five episodes in, and what strikes me is how adult and direct this is. The violence is brutal, nasty and visceral, and you really feel the struggle in the combat sequences. Hell's Kitchen feels like a real location, with real people, which makes the stakes that the conflict with organised crime raises all the more effective.

In the first two episodes the show establishes itself and the characters and then doesn't deviate. It's very much character-led. I intend to work my way back through the various related series that first aired on Netflix, especially now that they've returned to the Marvel fold and are officially part of the MCU. That said, the tone is much darker and more gritty, which is why I love it.

In gaming, my love of these series manifests itself in my love of Son of Oak Studio's City of Mist roleplaying game which can build a similar feel with ease. It's no surprise that this is a game I've run repeatedly at conventions.

16 March 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment