03 September 2020

Upgrades

C434 Flip
ASUS C434 Flip Chromebook

 I've just upgraded my Chromebook to an ASUS C434 Flip. This is an aluminium chassis hybrid laptop (so it will do tablet mode) which fits a full HD 14" screen in a 13" form factor. It has 8GB RAM (which is the high end for a Chromebook) and 64GB storage. The CPU is an Intel M3. As a model, it was amongst the best received in 2019. The raw stats don't look especially powerful if you consider it against a MacBook or a Windows Laptop, but they don't need to be because ChromeOS is very lightweight. The speed ratings for the processor are triple those for my previous Chromebook.

I've changed it in preparation for travelling away from home more with work. The screen size is much better for running Roll20, and the extra RAM should minimise issues on Discord and other video conferencing. 


The lure of Roblox
Roblox proving popular.

My older Lenovo N23 Yoga Chromebook has been passed on to Aidan, who has already managed to work out how to play Roblox on it. To be fair, he's used it most of the lockdown for schoolwork, so it's not an unknown for him.

Many of you know me as a big Mac fan. I am definitely that, but the Chromebooks provide a very focussed solution if you know your use case, and are willing to compromise a little on how you go about it. Of course, I'd love a new MacBook, but I'd have paid at least three times more for the pleasure.

Both myself and the boys are all running Chromebooks now. I have the Mac mini for heavy lifting and layout work for RPGs.

3 September 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment