24 July 2019

Time to Die

I was saddened to hear that Rutger Hauer died last Friday, aged 75. A quirky, unique actor, he graced my favourite film of all time, Blade Runner. I've also got fond memories of the Guinness adverts he did, and Ladyhawke (although that has always been more one of Jill's favourites than mine).

Everywhere seems to be quoting the 'tears in rain' speech which he altered and made his own in the film, pushing it to a far more poignant ending. But they're cutting the last few words. His character, Roy Batty, ends his monologue with the acceptance of his fate, that his battle against a cruel universe is over.

"All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die."

Roy Batty - Blade Runner

Perhaps they are leaving it out in case they feel that it is insensitive? I feel it is apt and fitting as a memorial for a person I respect, whose work has given me great pleasure. He leaves fond memories.


"Time to Die"

Of course, the version of the film that made him and this scene famous didn't end there. We're treated to Deckard, Harrison Ford's character, trying to figure out why Batty didn't kill him in one of the noir narrations throughout the original theatrical and international releases.

"I don't know why he saved my life.
Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before.
Not just his life. Anybody's life. My life.
All he wanted were the same answers the rest of us wanted:
Where do I come from?
Where am I going?
How long have I got?
All I could do is sit there and watch him die."
Rick Deckard - Blade Runner

RIP Rutger Hauer. 
Thank you for the moments you gave to us all, which we will cherish until we too are lost in the rain.

24 July 2019
All images copyright Warner Brothers, no challenge to copyright intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment