23 July 2019

First Impressions - King of Dungeons RPG

King of Dungeons - Baz Stevens

I read the PDF of Baz Steven's fantasy heartbreaker RPG, King of Dungeons, over this weekend and I'm impressed. More crunch than I'd usually go for, but I can see myself running or playing it quite happily (which is a good sign). I finally understand what several of my friends like Tom have meant when they talked about how well 13th Age played; this has a delicious light layer of crunch, but it's well structured to avoid complexity at the table.

Simple to read, with some interesting takes on Guilds (which are very similar in concept to gangs in Blades in the Dark). The tone of the book is good; like Graham Spearing's Wordplay and Heroic Fantasy, it feels like you're having a chat with the author. As a result, it's very readable. All the key rules are summarised at the end of the book.

I can see this one getting to the table; I don't think it will displace Heroic Fantasy as my go-to D&D clone, but it's certainly a game I'd both like to GM and play. If you didn't back the Kickstarter, I recommend looking it up when it goes to print. It's given me the same buzz as Heroic Fantasy and Dungeon World, and long ago Holmes Basic D&D; that's good company in my book and something Baz deserves praise for. Definitely check this out.

21 July 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment