28 November 2020

On the Run

Runs - heart rate
First attempt at running in a long time!

I used to be pretty active, regular badminton and swimming, not to mention getting out and about on site. The arrival of the kids cut into some of this, but I still enjoyed getting out irregularly, especially for swimming. And then lockdown #1 arrived back in March and my activity levels crashed.

Reached a point of dissatisfaction last week, and decided that I was going to try and do something to be more active. I'd been watching my better half heading off, doing a couch to 5k programme (which she's finding quite challenging as she's quite asthmatic), so I started to think about whether I should do something myself. Swimming was out, as were most of the sports I enjoy. Site visits are out, with lockdown #2 and living in a Tier 2/3 area. With some trepidation, I looked at running.

If you know me well, you'll know I hate running. It's never floated my boat; I've always prefered activities where you run for a reason. Well, needs must. My reason is to feel more healthy and to lose some of the lard lockdown has added.

I downloaded the BBC Active Couch to 5k app, bought myself some new bluetooth earphones (as I couldn't find my existing set after two days of looking) and picked the celeb coach to try and encourage me. I ended up with Sarah Millican (whose comedy I've always liked and whose expressed preference for cake I can emote with).

Set off on Wednesday night (after a bit of route planning) and was out for about 35 min. The initial week starts with a 5 min brisk walks and then alternates 60 seconds running with 90 seconds walking, followed by a 5 min walk at the end. Made it through okay, although around run 3 I was thinking 'why am I doing this?'. I knew the answer. I slotted some Faithless onto Apple Music, so had energy from that, and the delightful Sarah kept on popping up with direction and encouragement which kept me on track. I felt reasonably good at the end, but was definitely aching on Friday. 

Runs - heart rate
Run #2 - slightly faster, further and better.


The challenge is to keep going and do the rest of the week; there are three runs at this rate and then I level up and I guess it gets harder each time.

I hate running, but it definitely felt good to be active, and the app makes it a lot more focussed. I'd recommend it. It has great tips for non-runners on preparing and what to wear etc.

28 November 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment