01 March 2020

All One Tonight

All One Tonight

This album has seen pretty heavy rotation the last few weeks since the fire at work; I'm not sure why, but it's caught my mood.

All One Tonight is Marillion's live album for the concert they had at The Royal Albert Hall. Now, I'd considered getting tickets to go to see them there, but they sold out really quickly and I kind of dismissed it as being in London. As this recording shows, I missed out on what seems to have been a fantastic and special night.

The recorded is around two and a half hours; it includes the whole of F.E.A.R. and then a selection of tracks from the post-Fish history (i.e. most of the band's time and, in my opinion, much of their better output). Several of the songs are performed with 'In Praise of Folly', a string quartet, and other guests who are 'proper musicians'. This collaboration then led on to a studio album, 'With Friends from the Orchestra', of similar tracks being released last year.

It's a great listen; favourites like 'Easter' and 'Waiting to Happen' are superb and 'Neverland' sends shivers. The audience really gets into it, and the way they start to sing 'Go!' back to the band as they finish the track is brilliant. I'm tempted to get the DVD version of this.

Recommended.

Available from:
marillion.com store
amazon link

1 March 2020 

No comments:

Post a Comment