27 August 2019

South Hams escape

The Creek
The Creek, Salcombe.
The return to work makes you appreciate the time you have away more than ever. One of my team had kindly (and I mean that honestly) sent me a 'while you are away' summary, so I knew what I was walking back into, but the transition from relaxation to full-on plate spinning always comes as a shock. I think I'm probably 80% there and will be back in the swing in a day or two. I'm not helped that our reporting year runs August to July and we need to submit by 31st latest. The trick will be to keep the memories close and not make it feel like it's years ago.

When the boat comes in
When the (life) boat comes in...

We spent the holiday in the South Hams, the southernmost end of Devon. It's part of the world that I remember from my youth, as my parents regularly took us there to a cottage outside the village of Marlborough. I introduced Jill to it just before Nathan arrived, and we've been going back since.

Trips into Salcombe were fun-filled opportunities to try to catch crabs with a line and a piece of bacon rind, get sweets from Cranch's fantastic pink and white shop, eat Salcombe ice-cream and maybe even fish and chips.


The Harbour Bookshop, Kingsbridge
The Harbour Bookshop, Kingsbridge
I associate Kingsbridge with shopping for toys and, more recently, books at the fantastic Harbour Bookshop. I wholeheartedly recommend this shop, great staff, and a good selection for the whole family. (There's a nice bookshop in Salcombe too, Salters, but I've always felt unwelcome in it.) There are also distinctive memories of my sister throwing up whenever we arrived there on the first day after a journey that started around 3AM in Liverpool as kids. We were there in the '70s when the oil price jumped and I can remember long queues down the hill to the petrol station which has long since disappeared, replaced with flats and shops. We had a lovely last lunch at the Art Cafe before we left on the Friday this year.

Inner Hope Boats
Inner Hope Boats
We stayed at Hope Cove again this year, a favourite haunt with great beaches. Inner Hope is fantastic for kids with a kind, gentle beach and reasonable ways for them to body board. Wetsuits are recommended, as I'm not as hardened to this as I was as a kid. The Lobster Pod bistro and the ice-cream kiosk serve the beach well.

Outer Hope, evening
Outer Hope, end of the day
Outer Hope is more rugged, but is closer to the Hope and Anchor (a decent pub with food, ale and rooms), The Cove Bar and the Post Office. We stayed just around the corner from this. As ever, the skies over the sea were gorgeous.

A lovely week away, where we all got to relax like my youngest, below.


Relaxing in the Hammock
Relaxing in the Hammock at the Lobster Pod.

No comments:

Post a Comment